Wednesday 18 November 2009

Red Delicious Quilted

Red Delicious is quilted!

Wow it feels great to finally finish this BOM (not that I was embaressed to see that others had finished my own BOM before me or anything!)

My only disappointment is the photo - it really doesnt do RD any justice. It looks much better in real life. Actually I have this problem with nearly all my quilts - I don't have the 'perfect' hang and shooting spot so I am always having to work around lighting and space...and the space can be something of a problem in my home. I dont know how to work around this. I always love it when my quilts are made available as 'projects' in magazines because then at least I am guaranteed a perfect photo. Oh well....

A few have asked via email and I've noticed the same question in the comments a few posts ago, so to all you who are curious: I am a domestic machine quilter. I do all my quilting on a domestic Elna 1950's model sewing machine. I also have a back up Husquarna 1950's model for when the Elna is over heated or just plain tetchy.

In my house I have several sewing machines including a Singer and a Brother and they are good machines for other sewing work, however I have found that the old Elna and Husquarna are best and I am not a big fan of the plastic fantastic generation of sewing machines that are so present today.

Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE a long arm (think of all the projects I could conquer!) and I wouldnt mind a new domestic as well. Again though, once you are used to solid metal construction, the new machines cant help but feel flimsy. And I dont think I will ever get used to having a machine tweet or beep at me! But, in saying that - I'm always excited at new machines on the market and would give anything a trial. If and when I upgrade my machines, they will definitely be introduced right here on my blog.

23 comments:

  1. I like it very much your wonderful beautiful work.
    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther your quilt is an absolute masterpiece! I love it. I started the BOM as a redwork and managed three before Annie-Rose arrived. I think they are going to live on as cushions, or maybe a bag! Thanks so much for sharing this project with us. What are we going to do in 2010??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Th quilt looks great Esther. Hugs, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that turned out so beautiful! I love the swirly wave looking sections. Nice job!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  5. De-lovely, de-lightful, and red-delicious! It is a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red Delicious is gorgeous. I wish I could see your beautiful quilting better - your quilting is amazing. Looking forward to the table runner. I still have to put the borders on mine but it will get finished! Thank you so much for the lovely pattern!! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read in a magazine article about photographing quilts that the best place to do it is outdoors on an overcast day. I don't know if this is possible for you, but it is an idea. I have always wanted to attach a couple of supports on either side of my garage door so I could slip a rod or pipe of somekind through my quilt's sleeve and hang them there for photographing. Love your quilt;it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Red Delicious is just wonderful... thank you so much for sharing this amazing project...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Esther,

    I LOVE how it turned out. I'm so glad I saved the patterns as you went along. Now to find some great reds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is gorgeous, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Esther, RD is gorgeous and I thank you again for giving us all so much pleasure. I feel like I'm part of a big club of RD fans all sharing in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is fabulous.
    Liking the sneak peek on the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt looks great!
    I'm behind on my blocks, but hope to show some more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So elegant, your work. Thank you for sharing it. you are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely ADORE your quilt, all elements of it, the patterns are wonderful and I love all that RED!

    I saw it in the sidebar on FOQ2010 group!

    Have a great weekend :o)

    Carolyn ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have excelled yourself, Esther. Your machine quilting is truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is gorgeous! And thank you so very much for sharing the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Red Delicious is beautiful, I do hate to admit I haven't even started mine....I'm a huge procrastinator...but can't wait to see the table runner either.

    Thank you again for the beautiful BOM - Diana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Esther, your Red BOM quilt is so beautiful. This is the first time for me visiting your blog and you have so many eye candy...will be back again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Red Delicious is absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so beautiful.....so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...