Friday 5 November 2010

Meandering into the weekend

I am meandering into the weekend ... I went to bed full of ideas of things to get done today...but woke up and decided to take it easy.

I have been sitting outside this morning, enjoying too much post birthday cake, listening to the birds with my back turned on my messy studio, relaxing in a spot of warm sun.

I had a wonderful birthday yesterday with my family. I have some pics of the cake here - what a stunning cake eh? I love how beautifully my name has been scrolled...the whole thing just looks so magical...and it tasted great too! I have had a few happy easters in my life, so it's nice to check and find out that it's really my birthday when the cake arrives!

 Look at those flowers with blueberry centres....do you need an excuse to eat them??
The picket fence around the cake is actually meringue. Amazing.

Yes, regular readers of my blog would be aware that I am very keen on homemade cakes ...and usually my daughters and I bake amongst ourselves for birthdays and holidays...this year has been a change from the norm as we have all been so busy (it's just been one of those years).
It was doubly nice that yesterday I had some rulers I had ordered delivered. These rulers are Leaves Galore by Sue Pelland Designs http://www.suepellanddesigns.com/

I have so many ideas in store for this ruler. But I have left it shrink wrapped and have decided not to open it before I get some EQ7 work done first. I really have to structure my day or I will spend all day 'playing' with nothing to show for it.

I 'found' my pinmoors a few moments ago (I knew they were on the table somewhere)...they arrived last week. Like a lot of quilters, before I had any, I wondered if I could use the cut off tips of flexible rubber as an alternative...but seeing these in real life, I think store bought might be best. This really looks like the basting help I have been looking for. I havent done any work with them yet, but when I do I will definitely share my opinion on their usefulness rating with you.

Like many of you, I have reached the point where I dont want any extra things unless they are useful and save time. I have plenty of 'gadgets' and want to get back to useful basics. 


The weather has been cooler than usual for this time of year and there's been more rain than usual as well. This has been great for the birds and gardens...but on a selfish note, it's been great for my crochet as I usually stop by November because it is too warm. The cold snaps have seen me working double time...and now I only have 8 motifs to finish my hex's for the afghan. Then I will spread them out, decide on a setting and join them up. I think I will have to pull through and get it done this weekend because I am beginning to get tired of it...it feels so s-l-o-w and I just want to see it done.

I always forget how slowly afghans get on...

My postman was busy yesterday- also to arrive on my birthday was a prize generously given away by Bobbie Ashley from http://www.blissfullystitching.blogspot.com/


Thank you Bobbie Ashley!

I was the Flower Garden Winner

I received these super sweet hex flowers and precut hex's and a hex stamp

The whole set is so nice. I have been arranging and re-arranging ideas to use them up.


Maybe a table runner....hmmm, my DD has been inspired by the stamp (and my stash) and has been talking of a hex scrappy quilt top. That would be so nice too, and is actually on my 'list of quilts I want to make'

So we'll see....



12 days of Christmas:
I am thinking about maybe adding a border. Mine looks like it needs it. I don't know if I will yet or not, but I think I might...
How is your's coming along?

14 comments:

  1. Would be interested to hear how you like the pinmoors. I've been debating about them but want to make sure I'm going to like them. They are a little bit of an investment to get enough to pin a larger quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous handmade cake. I hope you had an enjoyable day besides unloading the postman with all the gooies for your Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Ester!!!

    What are pinmoors??? I know....I am not very bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious post Esther. That cake is amazing wouldn't mind another B'day if I got a cake like that! Glad you took some time to relax. My afghan is tooo slow. Enjoy chrisb. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is mouthwatering. Great Birthday cake!

    I also do not know what pinmoors are, they look like earplugs to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday, Esther! Your cake looks lovely, and no doubt is intended so for a lovely birthday girl.

    Your hexie win looks interesting. And though I haven't made your "Twelve Days of Christmas" project, it's really wonderful. That song is very special in our house, and even our 11 year-old granddaughter's December birthday gift last year was a charm necklace with each of those characters. Now I've come across some Twelve Days fabric and can't think what to do with it!

    Anyway, thank you for sharing a variety of things, including the weather. It's always nice to peek into the life of someone living on the other side of the world, in my favorite country. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Esther and what a sumptuous looking cake you have. Have fun with your new gadgets and rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was gone from the computer for most of the day yesterday so happy belated birthday.
    The cake looks divine AND looks like it would make a fabulous quilt :)
    I watched a video recently explaining how to use the curvy rulers and was fascinated by that. Looking forward to seeing what you design for that.
    I have no idea what pinmoors are either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to know what pinmoors are too. Your hexies are so cute!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to you! It is the most suave looking cake - I can imagine it was tasty too.

    I see I'm not the only ignorant one here (oef!) but how are pinmoors used for basting? Maybe you can show us when you use them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gosh! what an incredible cake......I think I would just hate to have to cut into it.
    Hope you had a truly magical day!

    oh..and no worries Barb, I don't know what pinmoors are either

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday Ester, even if little late! What a fantastic birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! How lucky you are to get birthday cakes and such beautiful ones as that! I usually have to make my own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...