Wednesday 23 February 2011

Cake and Fabric

The Kenwood's back (from the repair shop) and has been put to use mixing up our traditional February Birthday Cake: The Pavlova.

My DDs bake a Pavlova for my DHs birthday each year. It's a tradition of sorts - and every year they promise that they will find a new cake to bake because they are sick of meringue fussiness.

Of course each year passes and they forget all about their Pavlova Promise... so here we are again.

What I really love about this cake is the drama associated with baking it. There is so much potential for failure, so much drama associated with each step of it's creation...that I always end up asking my DDs -why didn't they just bake a sponge?

There must definitely be an allure in wanting to get this recipe right.

What I really love each year is watching my older DD send my younger DD to get their father in front of the cake ...before it collapses!

It's very funny and we all enjoy this yearly ritual.


Here is this years:
you can see the top collapsing as the knife cuts its first slice...


but we don't care, it tasted great 


I've been back in my studio, looking over my fabrics 


I've seen several finished block 1's. They are all quite different and all work in their own way.

Funnily enough, I was considering a black and white version, a lilac colour version, a traditional stash version - and these have all been made so far by Yahoo Group Members. I have really enjoyed looking at these blocks.

It's great to see the same pattern expressed in these different ways.



There's been a lot of fabric choice talk and I returned to my Windham stash to decide on the greens I would be using for the next block.

None of them really worked for me...I keep returning to the lovely rusty reds. I think, despite my best efforts that I will be working this quilt in washed, rusty reds. I don't feel I can resist.


 

This is my background fabric lined up with a potential fabric for stems (the black strip) and my applique leaf.

I am still deciding if I will work my leaves in green...like I thought I would.

Oh fabric dilemma...too much choice!

 

I'm still deciding.

Should you fight your fabric instinct and do something different
...or go with what feels right?

14 comments:

  1. Lots of yumminess on your blog today...cake looks sooooo good as well as all of your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for blogging about Pavlova! I'd never heard of it until about three years ago when I first became interested in all things Aussie. Americans don't make pav, nor do most of them even know what it is. My first pav, made in the US, turned out fine! But when I went to Oz, and tried to make it in my daughter's kitchen, it was flop after re-attempted flop! Converting temperatures may have had something to do with it. I still love making it, and especially serving it to guests who are impressed by such an unusual dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so go with your fabric instinct!! That is usually what works! First choices are usually the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as much experience as you have, and as beautiful as your quilts have turned out.. I would say go with your instincts. (besides I like the deep reds). I think it also wouldn't hurt to make one block in your alternative color choice.. just to SEE what it would have looked like.. you never know... you may decide to do both, or change your mind completely.. that adventure may be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, as much experience as you have, and as beautiful as your quilts have turned out.. I would say go with your instincts. (besides I like the deep reds). I think it also wouldn't hurt to make one block in your alternative color choice.. just to SEE what it would have looked like.. you never know... you may decide to do both, or change your mind completely.. that adventure may be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is usually a reason if it "doesn't feel right"
    It is always fun to play and try new things but in the end you KNOW when something isn't working........go with your instincts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Pavlova looks great and I sure it tastes even better, it was going fast!
    I am following your BOM, even if I don't have time to do anything about it right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Esther!
    I've finished the first part of your new BOM, and enjoyed it so much! Your pattern is gorgeous. Come and see my first block (of yours) in my page: www.angelpatches.blogspot.com
    Thank you for your great work and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering about your BOM. I downloaded the 1st block. Does it say anywhere how much fabric total you will need to complete the quilt? Just wondering because I don't have a huge stash, and will need to get coordinating fabrics, but would like to get them together, so I know I will have them. THank you for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely fabrics...I am sure that you will choose the perfect ones. The Pavlova looks so yummy!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Follow your heart...I would say.
    Just like that wonderful Pavlova - it will be irresistable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of a pavlova cake but if I had a chance I know I'd clean my plate. It looks toooo devine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ester, I fight my fabric choices all the time and am racked with fear of failure. I change my mind a lot and panic too. ITs b\getting better, I suppose it doesn't help that I have no favorite fabrics and am a scrap quilt maker most of the time. I love applique though but it can be scrappy too and I dont buy large pieces of fabric, I might change that!
    karen Seckold
    Wyndham Patchworkers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...