Wednesday 16 February 2011

Hearts Desire is launched


Hearts Desire
a FREE MYSTERY BOM in 6 parts
Feb 15 – July 15 Finished size, 74 inches




I’ve always wanted to create an applique quilt which, although full of applique, is not a Baltimore.
With Red Delicious my first BOM, the theme was red things in life that I love.


With Hearts Desire, the theme is old town folk style, a place where life is simple, time is plentiful and days are full of sewing and quilting. This quilt is almost a still life of admiration, the design is purposefully full of understated opulence and richness in detail.

I have chosen The Windham range of fabrics, mainly due to their lovely rusty reds which look washed with time. These reds are a strongly unifying color throughout the design. I had plenty of fabric ideas, but could not pass up these tones and hues – they perfectly invoke the traditional spirit of my design. They just belong together.

Having said all that, I don’t want you to feel too nostalgic before you’ve even made it.

Of course, this quilt can be made with modern prints and fresh vibrant fabrics; the design really does lend itself well.

There is an enormous amount of applique. So I suggest that you choose your fabric theme and let it inspire you to select colors that work for you, block by block.

I have aimed to create a classic design which draws you in and invites you to experience the moment. You can let me know if you agree in 6 months time!




Block 1: Be Still My Heart


Be Still My Heart really is the heart of the quilt. However, this center block is also a teaser because it does not indicate what is coming next.

I would like that to be a surprise month by month.

When the quilt is finished you will see that this block is the stopping point of the whole design and the place where the eye draws to rest. It is the calmest block and I have offered it here first to ‘warm you up’ for what is ahead.

Will you be joining me?


This is my applique technique, using freezer paper to create neatly turned shapes


I love the smooth lines that result from this technique, it's so satisfying


I had enough fabric from my fat 8, so I decided to fussy cut the hearts.
This is optional, but I couldn't resist.

I love these fabrics!


These are the corners of the block.
You can make these and put them aside if you don't want to put them down now.



Remember:
This block will be free until March 15th.

and: this is boring but it comes up every BOM:
the pattern is a PDF document, and is set to print at 100% A4 for easy home printing
All printers are different and some printers like to re-set PDF pages to 95%

Please note:
Ensure that your printer is set to print to 100%
If your print preview shows you set to print at 95%, ensure that the default to “shrink to printable area” box is not checked. If it is, uncheck it.
Select: Page Scaling: none

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely block you have created...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a member of the Yahoo Group and I just downloaded the block - it is gorgeous! Thank you so much.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I'm looking forward to starting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! The fussy cutting really adds interest to the already lovely shapes. I'll have to download this in the afternoon when I get home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful!

    Usually, I don't do Mystery BOM's ... but this one is irrestible. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci beaucoup, le coeur est magnifique ainsi que les tissus.Amicalement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther, this block is lovely and precious as your works always are. This will be the first of your Boms I join in. I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this lovely block. I look forward to seeing the rest of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous - and your choice and positioning of fabrics is spectacular! I envy such talent, so glad you are sharing it with the world!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. so beautiful....may use my new tie silks i just bought! thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be doing this one as I can but won't be as fast as most of you. I just love the fabrics in this block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just discovered your blog with your lovely patterns. I'm not sure about taking on a new project right now, but I'm strongly tempted-I am drawn to the shapes in your first block and to the Windham fabrics you've chosen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Esther I have completed the Red Delicious and I am now looking forward to making up this Hearts Desire. Even the name is enticing!! Thanks Esther I will no doubt enjoy the next 6 months. Angela in Warranwood

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in awe of the talent you have! Thank you for your time and the lovely BOM we have to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, thank you for another beautiful BOM

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh Ester this is gorgeous. I am in the middle of an on line class and I just got home from our very first cruise it was wonderful and I want to do this too. I did the Christmas mystery and it was so much fun. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...