Friday 25 March 2011

Japan: Every Quilter Can Do This

UPDATE: 28 March, 2011
Australia Post has decided not to assist quilters posting out donated quilts to Japan. This is a shame, but I guess there isn't enough publicity in it for them.


Looking through my quilt cupboard...


I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare.    
C. S. Lewis







This is something practical every quilter can respond to, knowing that it will make a real difference. Let's look through our cupboards and finish those WIPs.

Remember: the need is great and any size quilt means that, whatever our quilt pile, we all have something we can contribute.

Naomi Ichikawa, editor of Patchwork Quilt Tsushin Magazine is asking for comfort quilts to be sent to Japan. She says:

It is still bad situation now in Japan. We are still nervous about shaking and radiation, but no way to escape. I start to announce to the quilters to send us comfort quilts for the people who are suffered. I would like to do it to the world quilters. We will deliver the comfort quilts to the people who are very difficult situation. Could you please help to announce it to the quilters in your country?
We accept any size of quilts (baby to adult). New or unused. The deadline would be the end of May or later.

★Send the quilts to:
(after the begining of May)

Naomi Ichikawa
Patchwork Tsushin Co.,Ltd
2-21-2,Yushima,Bunkyo-ku,Tokyo,Japan zip:113-0034
I will appreciate if you help me.
Naomi

(Thanks to Glenda for passing these details on to me. Please pass these details on and list it on your own blog / website / group / forum / noticeboard / meeting hall / etc)


?
Wouldn't it be great if a postal provider offered to ship all our donated quilts to Japan for free?

I've sent an email to Australia Post in the hope that they might step in and assist us in donating our quilts to Japan for this Humanitarian Appeal. As there is only 1 drop off point in Japan, free shipping could easily be facilitated by providing quilters with a 'code' which we could apply to our parcels.

If you are an Australian quilter, please contact Australia Post and ask them to help us help others.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ester! I sent a quilt about a week or more ago. The postage was a lot so I sent it surface. I hope they receive it. I also wrapped it in a clear plastic bag and then brown paper just in case it got damaged on the way there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops sorry my fingers were too fast I know it is Esther.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is expensive and there is also the concern that it may not get there...sending a 'bulk' delivery would have been preferable in this situation, but we can only do what we can...

    I will be sending my quilt double wrapped and just *hope* it gets there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Naomi asked that quilts not be sent till May?

    Is there a quilt store or quilt guild in Australia that would be willing to receive the quilts and then mail them in bulk to Naomi in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. the military in at least two countries have agreed to transport their citizens quilt donations to Sendai

    perhaps this would be an avenue your Australian quilters could explore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...