Wednesday 8 February 2012

WOW: Colour Picking for the New BOM


WOW =
 WIPs On Wednesdays


At the moment the New BOM has 2 names...and how to decide? Well at the moment I can't! Why is naming new quilts so hard? I can feel that the naming of the BOM will be a last minute thing...

FEB 15th is the launch of my New Mystery BOM for 2012: it's applique, it's floral, it's a wall hanging.


It's high time that my living room received a new wall quilt - at the right size and full of florals that I love. Red Delicious has been retired for a while, and well, it's time for something new. I am very excited to be getting on with another Quilt from my Quilty To Do List. This is another quilt from my quilt "bucket list" so you know, it has to be very special and feel just so in my quilt collection.

Will you be joining me on this Mystery? I think it's the best so far -of course, I might be biased!

Everyone wants to know...what is the mystery all about? It's about my favourite flowers in my favourite combinations - I want to be able to look at them all year long regardless of the season. They will always be in bloom for me. I have been thinking about how to describe this quilt.



Romantic? yes. Naive? not really. Folk Art? no. Abstract? no. Contemporary? no. Does that help?

These are a selection of my new hand dyes. I am aiming for realistic tones.
And I've been going through the stash for some foliage greens too.


The only way I can think to describe the pattern style is a kind of romantic realism...I am aiming to bring nature into the house in a beautiful, purposeful and stated way. I'm sure everyone who makes this quilt will make their own wonderful version to bring their own garden to life. In fact that's one of the reasons I love sharing my work so much - I get to see it being made by many different hands in many different styles. It's always a real treat to see my designs interpreted by others.

So I have been rather impatient waiting for my fabric this week. I have been waiting for my old fabrics from Nov 2011 to arrive and my newly ordered fabrics to arrive as well. Will they show up? That is the question.

Whilst waiting, I have been busy hand dying special colours for the flower details. The wait has been so hard to take that I have resorted to these desperate measures!

The background is a commercial print range. I will be showing the pallette right here (when it arrives).

Will you be joining in on the BOM?

How is your wednesday coming along?

13 comments:

  1. Oooooh, how exciting, Esther!!!

    Morning Glory is a beautiful flower.

    Can't wait to see the first part :o)

    Thanks so much for doing this for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds very exciting! can't wait to see what you have in store for us...

    does the morning glory flower have anything to do with the colour scheme?

    Julz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh my, I just love those blues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and hopefully I am up for another applique quilt since the HD is my very first whole applique quilt. Whew never thought I would be able to do it. Thanks for the help and encouragment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blue is just gorgeous and the morning glory is one of my favorite flowers. You do beautiful work.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love Morning Glory's. And the blues are sooo pretty. Gosh, I can't wait for spring, warm weather and flowers again in my yard.
    Looking forward to this mystery. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. The suspense builds...can't wait to see your new BOM Esther! You are so kind and generous to share it with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goody oh goody oh goody--I´m so lucky you love morning glories, too Esther!!! Thanks ever so much for sharing your beautiful patterns...and how I hope your fabrics get to you soon! :o)
    I fell in love with your wonderful work way back with Red Delicious and I´m finally making a block for a friend´s birthday gift--I know she´ll love you for it! Always wishing you well and hugs from Germany, Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, I can't wait to see what you will be making. Sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it was meant to be. I have a wrought iron bed and was wanting to decorate the room in shabby chic or with a romantic feel. It sounds like this is just what I need. I know I'll have to order fabric so I hope you give us a heads up on fabric soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The morning glories bring back happy memories of when I was a little girl, and my Mom had them vining up our clothesline posts. Your quilts are beautiful. Maybe I will join in this mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE morning glories! Are those Blue Heaven variety? Can hardly wait to see what fabulous creation you will be unveiling!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful photo of the morning glory on those perfect fabrics for it Esther. We have them growing around here and when ever I see one they make me smile. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful art skills with us Esther. Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...