Wednesday 21 November 2012

WOW: Momentary Domesticity

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays

I've been really busy this morning, fussing over the next Mystery block. I can't share any of those images with you yet, so I thought I'd show off my latest kitchen gadget. Frankly, it's not too often that I'm stirred to talk about domestic chores; I'd rather be quilting! All I'm going to say about saucepans is that I've had them all, I've ruined most of them - one way or another- and I couldn't be less interested in shopping for new ones.

That's not oil, it's pure toffee, and it's gliding out of the pan.

 So I decided that my DD could source the 'new saucepan'... and she had a Flavorstone brand one delivered. Now, I'd never heard of this brand (which worried me) and it's bright blue (which also worried me) and it's seriously non - stick (which terrified me). After many hours of google-ing non stick cookware and conspiracy theories regarding non- stick surfaces, I simply decided to send the whole thing back. I hadn't even used it and it was already causing me too much hassle. I do wonder if I'm the only person who obsesses about these things? But it really worried me and I didn't want to cook in it.

the colour still bothers me
but I can't complain about its performance
To cut a long story short, I read up about my current stainless steel imported European cookware that I've been using for the last 20 years and apparently even that's not 100% safe... so I decided that, on balance, and given the temperatures in question, I was worrying too much about it and decided to just cook something.

After all the money we've spent on 'state of the art' saucepans from Denmark, Sweden, Germany and the USA, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that this is the best saucepan I've ever had! It is truly non-stick and cooks beautifully. I've cooked so many meals - slow cooking, braising, browning, warming up - all without a speck of oil and am impressed with how nicely the food browns and caramelises. The biggest test was when my DD made creme caramel and the usual stuck sugar mess was replaced with gliding sugar that was wiped out of the pan.

I can't believe I'm actually talking about saucepans (?!), but I have mentioned it abit just lately and have promised a few people that I'd blog it as I have been calling this brand by a wrong name, so anyway, here it is.  I doubt any other kitchen object will be able to excite me quite so much...which, looking at my WIP pile, is probably a good thing!





1 comment:

  1. These pots look great makes me want to buy them. I will look for them here at the TV store LOL. I want to touch them before I get them LOL
    Enjoy Bunny

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...