Wednesday 12 June 2013

WOW: Georgian Style

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays
 
The idea of a Georgian quilt has quite gripped me. Of course, I'll select whichever fabrics and colours I love best, but that hasnt stopped me developing a keen interest in the Georgians. And it's true, if I can find a Georgian 'theme' that I really love, that's what I will be going with.  

This Georgian style board is from Anita Brown's blog (who has given me permission to post it here for your enjoyment, thanks Anita). The blue and pinks are spot on for this era and give a great feel for the tones I’m seeking out right now.
This image is a link to the British Library info page on the era. It's fascinating, I have spent hours reading through all the sections and highly recommend it. I haven't read it yet, I cheated and watched the BBC TV show made from this book  below (from the library) last night and have purchased it this morning. Again, it's fascinating and I can't wait to go over what I saw, in print.
 


Now I have a real feel for Georgian taste, I do wonder if I will stay true to the style or do my own thing, or a mix of the two? I don't know. As soon as the fabrics are selected, it will be time to release the first block.

I'll post as soon as I know...









What's Your WOW ?

8 comments:

  1. Esther thank you for all your hard work!! really looking forward to working on the next boms with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther, you are really tempting me to join. I wish I had more time - not sure I can keep up on such a big commitment. I bet it is beautiful!! Can't wait to see that first block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting the pale green/grey in the back ground of the centre photo is the silk colour I have chosen for my back ground fabric for the BOM I have the Kimono hanging in my new sewing room one of the photo's in my Link shows it. !!!!!!! I'm sure learning a lot more about the Gregorian era Esther, thanks for the fun and learning not to mention your generous sharing.. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is another link to a well illustrated post of Regency (that was in the Georgian period also)colors and one of Georgian colors
    http://designholeonline.com/2009/georgian-color-palette-class-and-color-as-seen-through-emma/
    and http://hibiscus-sinensis.com/regency/colors.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Esther! Love your ideas! Just went to the US Amazon site, there's only 6 books left. I'll bet they've never had a run on this book before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esther, love your blog post. Although I'm a wee bit biased!! Thanks for sharing the details of my blog and good luck with your Georgian project!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for all the work you do on giving us there great bom's. Hope you enjoy the show. I am going when the Ruth Stonley Quilts will be on display also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the book and admire the original black and white. Your version is awesome. How do I sign up to get the BOM? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...