Friday 12 July 2013

Love Entwined, Compass Notes

Part 1 of Love Entwined consisted of easing you in with a simple centre applique compass. After all, I knew you'd be busy selecting your fabrics and getting your work spaces in order to create this stunning and laborious heirloom.

Naturally, it's all applique work. Many members mentioned that it was actually their first applique compass, so I must say, I'm doubly impressed with how many were made in such a short span of time. Many members made 2 or more compasses to choose from. How much enthusiasm can a single quilt inspire?

 
Thanks to Bunny and Michele for posting these in the group
 

Of course, I must be the slowest member in my own group because I haven't actually made my own one yet (of course I made a draft when I created the pattern, but I am still waiting on my fabrics. Yes! I'm really still in a fabric slump).

Luckily, our group moderators are both enthusiastic and highly skilled and they've allowed me to show you what they've created, and yes, it's fabulous.

There are hundreds of compasses over in the group now: each one is different and expresses a unique style. It's really interesting to see how this centre work of applique sets the tone for the entire square. There are going to be hundreds of Love Entwined quilts out in the world in the next 2-3 years and I am really looking forward to seeing them as they progress.

Now for the compass. This is the kind of post I like to blog a few days after the Part is launched, but this month has been so crazy for me and I have been rushed off my feet: I'm lucky our moderators are so generous with their time so that I can share it with you here, now.

Glenda had the wonderful idea to hand embroider rose bullions on her compass ring instead of the small applique circles. Glenda, I think you mentioned it was 8 hours work? Look at how marvellous these look, worth every minute.

I tried to keep my DD away from Glenda's photo because I knew that when she saw it, she's demand rose bullion too.! But I'm afraid I'll be sticking with the applique on this one, my embroidery techniques are a bit too rusty!

 
Bunny created machine embroidered roses which I also instantly fell in love with
 
 
and here is Bunny's ring for around the compass, they look stunning!
 

Of course, making your own ring for the compass doesn't mean you stop sharing you ideas! Here's the brass washers idea to help turn those small fiddly applique circles. Thanks again Bunny, I know a lot of members took this idea on.

 
a lot of us couldn't believe something so common could be so effective,
so Karen Van Dijk Nielsen helped us out with a photo

Yesterday I mentioned that group activity inspires ingenuity: well here's an example, the thumb tack method.  It's as simple as it is effective. I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. I've since tried it and yes, perfect little applique circles. Thanks to Marieke Hordijk for sharing this for us.

 
Thanks to the members mentioned here
who gave me permission to share their photos on my blog.
 
There is so much sharing of ideas and methods over in the group that I can't wait to see how we approach and tackle each new Part.
 
Part 2 will be released on the 15th of July and I suspect the group will fall silent for all least a few hours whilst everyone keenly examines the work ahead: we're really stepping up in Part 2 and the quilt centre takes it central shape. I'm already excited and can't wait to work through it with you.

 

‘Love Entwined 1790 Marriage Coverlet’ is a Free 18 Month Historic BOM.
Each ‘block’ of the month is released monthly, on the 15thof each month. All ‘blocks’ are available for free during the month of their release. Any missed ‘blocks’ may be purchased.
All ‘blocks’ are available for download via my Yahoo BOM Group only.
 
 


10 comments:

  1. I haven't yet started either. All the discussion about those little circles in the yahoo group has been great and reminds me of one of the things I love about quilting–there's no one right answer and many ways to accomplish a design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that you are still in a fabric slump. It must be frustrating to wait and I know we are all anxious to see what you come up with. Good luck as your hunt continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck in finding your fabric soon! I think that thumb tack method is sweet! what a neat idea.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. still haven't got mine done yet either !! I have it ready to fix up the applique but thats as far as I got! the last of my material came yesterday so I should be ready now. How was your trip? dd you enjoy it? and silence....even for a few hours I doubt it!!! too much excitement!! Hope you have a great weekend get some rest you will need it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your fabric slump ends soon, Esther. Did you enjoy the exhibition? I am counting the minutes till Part Two!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get so inspired by all the lady's at the yahoo group. All those great ideas, and smart solutions! So sorry to hear, you couldn't start yours! I hope your fabrics arrive soon. It's only two more day's before part 2...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO in love with this project, group and you, Esther! Thank you so very much for your generous gift to us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A thumb tack!!! Oh my gosh - that may just be the ticket for what I need - tiny berries bigger than a hole punch of template plastic, but smaller than my littlest Perfect Circle template. . . Thanks for passing it on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Esther, I've been away from blogging for a couple of days now. Thanks for mentioning me in your post. I'm going to download part 2 tomorrow, so I can continue your fabulous quilt!
    Regards,
    Marieke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I need help. I do not see any PDF so I can print off the pattern. I have been unable to print the July 15th instructions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...