Friday 23 January 2015

Lily Rose: the Hearts

I decided to do all my hearts at once. Of course, I did opt for the heart blocks in the Lily Rose border which are optional. I think these blocks really add something special to the quilt and I have a real soft spot for them.
It's just a simple method of tracing out my hearts onto wash away fusible, ironing it down my chosen fabric, cutting it out with a small seam, and then gluing the edge fabric with Elmer's disappearing purple glue and turning the edges over with a small cuticle stick, keeping the whole shape smooth.

You can also create this process with freezer paper using my freezer paper applique method (see my tutorial on the sidebar), but in that case you need to remove the freezer paper. I'm very fond of the freezer paper technique, the reason I use wash away fusible is because I find it easier to work with in terms of speed. Also, I print out my pattern on a copier that prints the pattern directly into the fusible and this saves me time too.
My Bernina 820 has been very bad today. I'm having ongoing trouble using anything but the plainest thread. With this machine, thread, tension and stitch troubles are the three key issues with it. It's the same issue over and over. I am determined to have my gold stitched hearts, but its becoming more trouble than its worth. 
 I have a lot of experience stitching in metallic thread so I go through my thread stash trying them all out until one is accepted by my temperamental machine. Once again, the simplest sewing endeavours become a struggle.
 the Bernina 820 ruins this heart with poor stitch work so I have to remake it. Like most quilters I don't have time to re-make otherwise perfectly good blocks and I certainly don't expect my sewing machine to be the reason why I should! It's remarkable to me that a machine this 'advanced' could chew up and spit out stitches like this
I'm surprised anew at how badly my 820 is performing. It has a knack for turning what should be the simplest work into messy, unusable work. Thanks Bernina. 
I got ahead of myself when I thought the Bernina 820 could be used for a simple blanket stitch - it can't. I'll be changing my plans for the rest of the quilt now. Decorative stitches are out.

19 comments:

  1. Esther, I am so sorry that your 820 has given you nothing but grief. Have you written Bernina headquarters about all of the problems you have had with it? Surely, they can at least have it shipped to them for a complete refurb or provide you with a new machine. Please force them to resolve it to your satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would get rid of the machine - it is creating such heart ache for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther, I am appalled at how your 820 stitch's such a simple stitch as blanket stitch and I really feel for you struggling with such a poor performer. As a machine appliquer I rely totally on my machine to do what I want it to, I now pray my machine never dies and I have to upgrade and possibly face the problems you have.
    Surely Bernina must acknowledge that your machine is well below performance spec and do something for you.
    Hug's Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your piece is so darling . . . I'm so sorry your Bernina isn't behaving nicely -- that's *so* frustrating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. All over the world, Bernina 820 owners are experiencing the same issues with their machines. I made the foolish error of trusting in the Bernina name. Big mistake. The 820 is unfit for use and should never have been manufactured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like all your machines are giving up on you. So frustrating!
    Your Lily Rose looks lovely despite all the hassle.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my photocopier I can understand, I do put it to work! But my sewing machines? Actually my 820 is the only machine to have ever caused me trouble. Now that I'm thinking about it, I've had many machines and this one has been the only lemon.

      Delete
  7. I don't know if this will help (have never owned a Bernina), but changing the threads may. I would suggest YLI metallics and a very smooth bobbin thread - NOT cotton, but even a rayon or one of the specialty bobbin threads for embroidery machines. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too have an 820. I can only use Aurifil, Isacord, or Mettler or else I risk running into problems. It's very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can sew on your 820, consider yourself lucky. Even with all the right threads mine is a constant struggle.

      Delete
  9. Saddened that you are still having problems with your 820!
    If your machine has the latest update on it (which fixed lots of things) and you are using the Bernina lubrication kit with the thread following the proper path from the spool and it is still stitching incorrectly your dealer should be fixing it for you under warranty. If your dealer can't/won't then Bernina Australia and Bernina Switzerland need to know. Use Facebook to contact them if other methods don't work. I have the 830 and as long as my machine is clean and oiled, I make the finer adjustments for different threads then stitching with metallic threads is no problem. Your machine should be able to do that too. FWIW I loosen the top tension slightly, stitch slowly and use a ballpoint needle for metallic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions Rosalind, I have updated my Bernina 820 and yes, it actually did make a difference. I was hoping that after the updates ran I would be able to sew with pleasure. But that was not to be. It looks like, when 820 users all over the world complain about tension and thread issues - they're onto something. I think the machine is inherently flawed.

      Delete
  10. Oh Esther my heart is sad at all the trouble this costly machine has given you. The company should replace that machine. On an another note have you tried thread conditioner, or a fabric softener sheet rub the spool with it and use a metalica needle and some fine bobbin thread. I am pretty sure you know all this but just in case. Hugs Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny. Yes that's a good tip. Before I can sew *anything* on the 820 I have to do a mini overhaul and that includes thread conditioner and spool checking and re-checking. It's just the machine itself I'm afraid. Unusually, the 820 is VERY thread fussy.

      Delete
  11. Another possibility for the machine not stitching well with the metallic threads could be that the thread HAS to come off the spool without twisting - let the spool unwind as you are stitching. Also be sure to use a stabilizer (plain copy paper will do), under the heart while you are stitching. If none of these Ideas help, then perhaps it is the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to read that your Bernie is not performing like it should. Although, there are several things that could be causing the problem...make sure there is no fluff in the bobbin case, as just a tiny piece can effect the machine when using metallic threads. They are really hard to use in most machines. I do hope you get the machine to work for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Take the machine back and demand a replacement. I know someone who did that and she loves it now

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ask to down grade to a 7 series machine. There are people out there with working 8 series but they needed good support from their dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am reminded of another thing to do with metallic thread, I think I had to use a larger eyed needle, maybe a leather needle 100, and stitch slowly, otherwise the thread heated through the eye of the needle and broke or damaged the appearance of the stitching. Although that was on a Janome. It's interesting to read the "fixes".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...