Wednesday 25 February 2015

WOW: Pesky Batting Pet Hates

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays

As you read this, I'm heading off to WA for a series of classes and I'm leaving Lily Rose behind on my design table with mixed feelings. The stain is out and I'm relieved about that, but as Sally mentioned in the comments yesterday - I'm going to have to make sure that no trace of the chemical remains in the fibres where it might damage them in the long term. What can I say, I should have taken my own advice and that was certainly a reminder to me. Testing for colour fastness is always a must. Why didn't I listen?! 
Speaking of Lily Rose, yesterday I unpacked my batting in preparation for quilting when I return home next week. Do you have a pesky pet hate? I do. This is an especially pesky annoyance of mine and it happens much too frequently in my opinion. When I unroll a new bolt of batting and it has an ingrained buckle in the weave. Can you see what I mean? This isn't a crease, it's an actual fault through the batting loft, its like an overlap - it's rough, higher than the rest of the batting and generally super annoying! This is Hobbs Premium Cotton Batting and its what I'm using for Lily Rose. There are always degrees when you find this kind of fault, usually they are very minor and can be simply ignored,  but this one is lumpy and hard. I have found that batting with this kind of fault never quilts or hangs nicely, there are always issues. I really wish Hobbs had better quality control, I really don't like having to fix things before I use them. 

I'll have to cut out this fault and lose quite a bit of batting doing so. And I just don't think I should have to. It's really annoying.
What's Your WOW ?


13 comments:

  1. AMEN! More and more manufactures are slacking off. Looks like we quilters need to send a few nasty emails to correct the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would complain to the manufacturer about the huge flaw and ask for compensation! as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

    So glad the bleed came out! Nothing worse than self recriminations! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call up the company and complain; take it back to the store or send it back. I wouldn't put up with that... especially on the masterpieces you make. I'd expect to get something for my time, and trouble sending back inferior products, too. Is it guaranteed to please you.... make them redo their own. A naughty child gets punished. That way they learn not to do that again.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Esther, I had the same problem with Hobbs a few years ago - lumpy, patchy thickness, so I've switched to "Quilters Dream Cotton" - Select, which is the thinnest in their range of 100% cotton batts. It has no scrim and is heaven to hand quilt. I've also used it for machine quilting and the luxurious feel and drape are exceptional. I hope this helps. Your work is truly gorgeous!! cheers Brigitte Giblin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Thanks so much for the tip Brigitte, I will try Quilters Dream next

      Delete
  5. I haven't had that happen to me, yet. Buth then I've only used Hobbs once. Not for not wanting to use it, but that the stores around here don't carry it. I would definitely let the manufacturer know. Sorry you are having so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember years ago having a really bad one from a different manufacturer. I emailed them and they replied I should take it back to the shop. I told them I had no idea which shop, or even which country I had bought it from and they sent a replacement. Hobbs should do the same I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How frustrating! Can you not return it and complain?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a major headache. Maybe a complaint to the company would be wise. If they don't hear from you, they don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh I 've had this happen a lot lately. In fact I had to get around one of these in my latest big bed quilt. I didn't have enough to cut it away but I positioned it to fall along a border so it didn't show. How annoying. I also like Hobbs 80/20
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have vowed never to use another Hobbs batt because of their lack of quality control. The 1st wool batt I used was so inconsistent in thickness that I contacted them with the lot # assuming they had a bad production run. They sent me a Tuscany wool batt which is supposed to be top of the liine and it wasn't quite as bad but it had many thick and thin areas. Far from top quality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Esther, when I've had problems with Hobbs, I've called them and gotten replacements. They asked how much was no good; I told them the approximate size and they sent me a new batt. You deserve at least a crib size for that fault.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Esther, I think you should contact Hobbs and let them know about the problem and ask them if they will replace it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...