Saturday 12 December 2015

Oma's Blues: Quilted

Thanks so much for all your comments on my last post. I'm glad you were all as happy for me as I was! It's s good feeling to be 'finished' with a quilt. When I started Oma's Blues, I was interested in re-creating the 'Delft" inspired style that I've always loved so much. I wanted it to hang in my kitchen and be the ultimate 'fabric' wall of plates.
Here's my centre plate bird: I decided to quilt him a little plumage crown
Many of you stuck with the blue and white theme which I found really interesting. I thought there would be a lot of mixed colours out there - more than I've seen, so I suppose many of us like Delft so much that blue and white just felt right :) 
 Now that it's done, it's going up on my wall in the New Year, 
right after the Christmas decorations go down
I love these corner plates coming together
and these blocks were designed to look like fragments of plates stacked along the borders
and I can tell you now that the quilt is finished, that I really think they do!
I've enjoyed quilting all the free space
and even detailed the circles and diamonds
like so
For my binding, I opted to strip this delft fabric together rather than use a dark blue and it ties in all the blue fabrics nicely.

Are you making Oma's Blues?

20 comments:

  1. Whaw, so beautiful. All made by hand? I live in the Netherlands and loves the blue- white colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you work is amazing. Love the bright blues throughout and the quilting is beautiful. Did you quilt this on a domestic machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is so beautiful, I'm Dutch and I love the color blue very much.
    So nice to look at all the pretty blue colors. You did a gorgeous job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ester,
    What wonderful quilt, in such a beautiful color combination blue and white. The Quilting just looks sore nice ... for that I have to practice a lot. Thanks for comment on my blog!

    Greetings from Germany,
    Klaudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I love the quilting. I am always amazed at your creative designs and quality of workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you use a domestic machine or long arm to quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Oma's is gorgeous. The quilting is wonderful and your fabric choices as well. I love it. I like mine...not yet finished...but it doesn't hold a candle to yours. Thank you for a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Oma's is just gorgeous Esther, you must be so happy to have it ready to hang in the new year. Your quilting is amazing and just brings Oma to life. Cheer's Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting on the oh so beautiful Oma's is wonderful. Did you finally go back to your old quilting machine favorite? Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow you're Oma Blues is gorgeous! and your quilting is just wonderful (wish mine looked like that!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, that is just sooooooooooooo amazingly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Positively exquisite, Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is so much to see in the quilting! You have out done yourself with this quilt.... thanks for taking us along for the ride. In the beginning I wanted to do this quilt but as the pieces unfolded I thought it was more than I had time for at this point in my life. So glad you shared it with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for showing us the quilting in detail - it really is tremendous! Amazing imagination to use so many different quilting motifs like that - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wouw your quilt is beautiful. I like the bleu collors
    Greetings from Holland Ria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wouw your quilt is beautiful. I like the bleu collors
    Greetings from Holland Ria

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is beautiful and elegant. Your quilting brings her to life. I am amazed at the your machine quilting skill. She'll be wonderful on your kitchen wall. Thank you for sharing this beautiful pattern with us. Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Esther Ohhhhhhhh My how beautiful this quilt is, its wonderful to see all the quilting up close, it amazes me that you have such wonderful control of your machine doing the quilting in those tiny places. Hmmm now where will you hang this one LOL Thanks for all the photo's and the tutorial of how you quilted Omar's Blues. Love the binding too. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boy, oh boy... it is gorgeous! It looks like that you had a lot of fun with the quilting. Would you be able to share your process of quilting it? That is, do you "draw" the design first; do you quilt in a "simple sewing machine" or with a "big one"? etc... Thanks so much for sharing not only your final quilt, but the pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...