Monday 13 June 2016

Sweet 2016, Part 5: Cupcake Cuties

 
This month it's time to indulge in some super sweet Cupcake Cuties and what a tray they make! I'm having more fun as each month goes by - I love choosing between fabrics for the most delicious combinations - and the best bit? Applique Cupcake Cuties are of course, guilt free. And that's a good thing as I've been dreaming of my all time favourite coated rum balls since making them for my quilt! 

Who doesn't love a cherry on top? And with just a single line in permanent marker over the fabric, you can add dimension to your cherry that looks all the more convincing! 
Here's how I made my own cuties this month:
I've gone with two types of lovely pink fabric for my first cupcake 
and topped it with some currant fussy cutting
 This is what the underside looks like, and yes I've opted to turn edge my applique again! I don't know why I didn't just raw edge the whole thing like I first planned, but once again, as soon as I start to applique anything, I always return to this method!
For the base of the cake, I simply cut a larger body piece in one shape
and shaded the in between lines with permanent marker in brown 

This is what my second cupcake looks like, 
I used the same pinks for the tops and added a cherry on top, because why not? 
 and this is what the underside looks like
 The meringue for one came together like this
and as always, I glue along with Elmer's to hold my shapes in place
layer by layer
 and so on 
 and the front, with my fussy cut flower
I opted for beige and blue, but your meringue could just as easily be white or anything else that tickles your fancy. For mine, it needed a sprinkling of sugar, so I stitched on some little beads to finish
The praline comes together in the same way: by layers
 And as I always say, it's the prepping that makes it all 'come together'
I find that labeling each piece is the only way I can keep track
Applique in this way is my own preference, but you could of course cut larger overall 'background' shapes for each motif and draw in the details with permanent makers, if you prefer. This quilt is perfect for trying out new techniques, so don't worry if the thought of so many pieces daunts you!
 step by step..
Rumballs are my favorite and coated rum balls (or giant truffles if you want to change them) 
have to come in threes, one or two is never enough!
As you can see, when I drew my cake stand, I added details as below that don't appear in your pattern. This is because I couldn't digitally add the specks, however you can add these details with your choice of fabric, beading or pen work. I'm already making another set of three rum balls for a fabric 'postcard' wall hanging for my DD who is also a rum ball addict and in that version, the coating is dark chocolate on a chocolate ball covered in tiny brown beads. For this wall hanging however, I have decided on pink, yellow and green coatings to harmonize with the colors used throughout. Feel free to make it up as you go.
 and the method is just the same: prep your pieces, clip and turn
 be neat and use an orange stick or pin to help with those tricky edges
 and the front...
or you could just raw edge the applique, do whatever suits your own style 
 Yum!
When it comes to creating the dome this month, I stitched bottom strips together
 which alternate light and dark grey
The grey tray 'plate' is a single curved line, but after placing my motif shaped in position, I went back and removed sections of grey plate background in order to remove bulk behind my shapes. You don't have to do this, I just decided to because I always like to remove any bulk.
 So it looked like this before the shapes went down
and this is what an afternoon's applique looks like!
This is where we are up to, placement wise is Part 5
remember not to sew down your domes onto a background until the very end!
Understanding the pattern release schedule: anyone can join Sweet 2016 at any time and when they do, they will receive a new block each month from that point onward. The day they receive each new block will depend on the date they signed up and made their first payment. Everyone who starts Sweet 2016, starts at the beginning, Part 1. Specific blocks cannot be purchased out of turn. 

Whenever you choose to start this BOM, be sure to keep us updated on your progress by sharing your work over in our Sweet 2016 BOM Facebook Group, see you there!

'Sweet 2016' is my current Mystery Applique BOM
It's just $3.95 per month
Delivered digitally, to your email inbox each month

5 comments:

  1. Oh what a delicious block and a lot of work to get that gorgeous finish Esther...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I pay to get the patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for showing how you do appliqué! I am always amazed at how beautiful appliqué is, but I've also always been very intimidated by it. Your pictures and narrative are just wonderful and you appliqué cupcakes looks good enough to eat!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...