Wednesday 20 July 2016

WOW: The Downsizing Lesson

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays
Little did I know when I happily gifted away my dress maker's dummy, that I would need it a year later. I thought I was being so practical. The only things I sew these days is shirts for myself and the occasional set of curtains when I find some really special fabrics. So it made sense, during my downsizing tidy out, to give it away. I mean, yes I do sometimes make myself shirts - but I don't need a dummy for that. I had no idea that one year on from my great big clear out I'd be online looking for a dummy to make my DDs wedding dress on.

In fact, I really don't think that I ever even considered making my DDs wedding dress. But there you are, life takes turns you don't expect. And when you can't find exactly what you want, mother knows best (and can sew) so here I go.... but first, my search a dummy continues. I don't want to own one, but there are no options to hire one and no one I know has one. So, wish me luck :)

What's Your WOW?




4 comments:

  1. How exciting, sewing your DD's wedding gown! I got my dress form from Fabulous Fit and was able to get a pretty close approximation to my shape using their padding system, but you can use those pads with ANY dress form -- either a cheap one from your local big box store, or a too-small vintage dress form could be customized to perfection with these pads. Have you considered one of the DIY dummies so many garment makers swear by? I believe there is a tutorial in Threads magazine, possibly on their web site, for making a dress form with duct tape of all things. I hope you will post about the wedding gown progress! I'm sure it will be beautiful if you are the one making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your DD! Good luck with your search for the loan of a dummy! I'm sure that someone geographically close to you will have one, it's just tracking it down, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so wonderful. Your daughter is very lucky to have you. My mother made my dress and we both have wonderful memories from that time. To this day, I still believe it is the most beautiful dress ever. I wish you luck with the dress form. We didn't have one so I went through many many fittings with my mom, which are part of the great memories of time spent together talking and laughing. Whatever happens, I know you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.sewmucheasier.com/mannequins/ try this site

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...