Wednesday 28 September 2016

WOW: Goodbye Loki

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays
I'm so sad and missing this gorgeous doggy face today. You see, my daughter's much loved English Mastiff died yesterday whilst she is still away on her honeymoon. Without warning she suddenly grew weak and became breathless. Despite getting her to a vet and then two animal hospitals, there was nothing they could do to save her. She died whilst they were taking x-rays of her chest. It's come as a shock to learn that she had a heart murmur which wasn't detected despite a lot of care and attention from vets for her other issue which was arthritis in her knee joint. As she was only 4 years old, her death is completely unexpected and of course, the timing couldn't have been worse. So for us, it's been a sad way to end a beautiful month for our family.

I love all animals, but Loki was extra special. Until recently we always had large dogs - Mastiffs, Newfoundland's and Rottweilers. We've loved them all. When our last Mastiff died 18 years ago, we decided that we had passed those prime years of caring for such high maintenance dogs ourselves, but of course we still has a soft sport for them as a breed. When my DD decided on an English Mastiff as her pet, I was looking forward to enjoying that special company again...but with much less work on my end!  Loki was unusual for two reasons - she was often mistaken for a male because of her extra large size and dark muzzle and she also had an unusually gentle nature. Mastiff's are known as being gentle anyway, but she was without a doubt the most sweetly natured and gentle dog I have ever met. She was a real treasure and we already miss her. 

With so much going on, my DD is coming home tomorrow from her honeymoon and it's my other DD's birthday on Sunday, I simply haven't been online at all. If you have emailed me or tried to contact me via Facebook - I apologize, I simply haven't even been online to check. I will be catching up on emails for the rest of the week and hope to get back on track before Monday.

Who's Your Most Missed Pet?



19 comments:

  1. sad news for your daughter - looks like it was beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad. We certainly understand about being away from the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how sad, Esther. I'm so sorry for your loss -- and your daughter's too. What a sorrowful welcome home after the joy of her wedding and honeymoon. Blessings to all of you.

    We've had Airedales for years and each one who dies leaves a hole in my heart, almost as much as losing a person.

    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My most missed pet is Emilio.....when he gets through the fence in the back and then out of that yard by the gate.... and I miss him a lot until he is home. Three times in a week... will have new fence soon and less fabric for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Esther😪😪😪I am so very sorry for your loss. Please keep the good memories. Losing a pet is just like losing a losing a loved human. It rips our hearts out of our chest. So sad. Will keep you and your family as well as Loki in my prayers. Sending love and hugs😪🙂❤️😰

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh nooooo how devastating. We just lost our 14 year old standard poodle and I'm so sad I've had a hard time being creative. Spirit to spirit, the connections are important and real... what a loss. I'm so sorry for all of you. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry Esther. It sounds like you love your animals like I do so I certainly can feel for you. 4 years old is way too young!! Hugs to all of you, sad end of what I'm sure was a wonderful wedding trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very sorry to read about Loki. What a beautiful girl! I agree with 'ute weigand' losing a pet is just like losing a loved human.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is heart rending. Something similar happened with my daughters cat. She too was getting married and I was keeping the fact that her old lady cat was failing. She passed away the night they got married. I am still sad a year later. Pets seem to be more than just "animals" to some of us. Not our kids but close companions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to read of their loss :(
    My most missed pet is my cat Scaredy. We got her as a kitten and she grew up in the same house for 12 years....then we moved. She did not like the new house at all and got out the door, never to be seen again :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss. It sounds like Loki was a wonderful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My most missed pet is my first dog, a Norwegian Elkhound named Loki. She was my 30th birthday present and she died in my arms 15 years later. I have had other dogs since but not one has ever filled the hole. My sadness for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only had 2 dogs in my life, after I married. We did not have children, just the 2 dogs. Losing them was heart breaking. They never live long enough.

    I have met 3 English mastiffs over the last 5 years of so. I though that they were a really nice breed & seemed quite the gentle giants.

    My condolences to your daughter, she must be very distraught that this happened while she was away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel your sadness, and I'm sorry to hear this news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to read of the loss, my sincere condolences to all ....
    My favorite pet was Zoran. He was the one who helped my children and me, by being his huggable self during sad and merry times!
    You can find a picture of him at:
    http://lapis-lazuli-q.blogspot.nl/2010/05/zorans-memories.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big dogs are the best aren't they. It's a very sad day when they leave us though. Dolly and I send hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry. Dogs capture our hearts and when they are gone.... I had a dog named Pippin. It's been 3 years and I still cry. He was kidnapped and then hit by a car 15 miles from my home. Luckily, someone who saw my fliers and called to let me know they found him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...