Saturday 21 January 2017

Secret Garden: My New Mystery BOM

“If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.” 
There comes a time as a quilter, when you step back from something you have designed and say to yourself, yes this is something very special. Secret Garden is one of those quilts.

I've been designing Secret Garden for three years. First came the outline - for in my head I had a clear vision of how this garden would be arranged. And then came the flowers, tucked in by beautiful pieced blocks that enhanced their curved lines and foliage. And little by little, I worked on each block and then set it aside. I knew that in it's own time, it would 'come together'. For this reason, I never set out to work on the design or pattern specifically, I let those moments call me at the right time and frame of mind. 

Bit by bit, these moments collected themselves and I knew with each sketch which belonged to Secret Garden and which belonged to other projects. Then, quite by surprise, I realized my Secret Garden quilt was complete. 
And today, I'm delighted to launch it as a Mystery BOM!
Will you join me on this adventure?

The journey starts February 1st, 2017
The BOM runs for 12 months
The finished quilt size is 80 x 80 inches

The image shown above is of the first block. Yes, it's a mystery but I wanted to set the tone and let you know what to expect, style wise. This is a quilt for applique lovers who don't mind complementary piecing to frame and enhance their beautiful applique blocks. 

I will be making this quilt as we go through the Mystery and will be sharing my fabric choices, tips and techniques right here on my blog. When you join the BOM, you'll receive your block on or before the 1st of each month, delivered via email.




17 comments:

  1. Esther it looks lovely such a sweet sweet arrangement of flowers and I love the flower holder, reminds me of ones my grandmother and mother had. My grandmother always had fresh flowers all year round in her house my Grandfather was a great gardner. So it is all ready reminding me of times gone by. Thank you for this lovely block and Im so glad its a mystery I love mystery LOL Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Esther. It looks like a lovely and sweet block. So excited😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks very yummy. I couldn't resist so I ordered today. I love hand applique' but like to save it for times when I am forced to sit like doctor appointments, sporting events etc... I am becoming a first time grandma this summer to two babies (2 daughters) so perhaps I can take some along when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. would love to know the fabric lines above - perfect coloring for me! can't wait, thank you so much Esther for what is sure to be another great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had to join ........hopefully I will have the time to do this BOM...........unfortunately life interferes with my quilting time........

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABOUT HOW BIG ARE THE BLOCKS - THE DESIGN IS LOVELY, BUT MAY BE TOO INTRICATE FOR ME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how you might think that from the first photo, but rest assured the first block is 28 inches and there are no miniature blocks in this quilt!

      Delete
  7. Just jumped in...and ready to start your beautiful new BOM....boy your really going to keep me busy this year!
    Can't wait...Wendy from Ballarat Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is not a quilt of miniature blocks! The first image in this post has a small image of the block sketch because it is being used for fabric auditioning, the actual block is 28 inches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a lot of quilting experience. Do the appliqué blocks need to be hand stitched? I know this will be beautiful but it may be beyond my ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you can use whichever applique method your prefer, it will look good anyhow. Why not start on Diamond Hill, which is free, and build up your skills?

      Delete
  10. How much fabric will we need for the background

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like another AMAZING quilt design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness . . . . this is sooooo tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so pretty. Not sure about joining. I I did purchase Sweet 2016, but I never started it, nor did I download the patterns. But, I am tempted to buy this one. And love the color choices you show. Thanks Esther for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where can I find these patterns for this BOM???

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too wondering how to access these lovely patterns?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...