Friday 28 July 2017

Swooning Over Eleanor's Coverlet Progress

Eleanor Montgomery Smith is a talented quilter who's on her own journey towards creating Love Entwined: 1790 Marriage Coverlet, in her own special way. Eleanor is also a Moderator in my Facebook BOM Group (lucky us!) and when I saw some progress shots of her LE quilt, I immediately asked her if I could showcase her progress here on the blog for all to see. She has generously agreed and I don't know about you, but I'm swooning!
As you can see, Eleanor has a beautiful way with flourishes. When I released the Love Entwined pattern, I really hoped someone would take it and make a heavily embellished version - just so I could see what it would look like. Although I am a lover of classic applique, I could already see during the design process that this was a quilt that could take as much embellished flourishes as anyone could care to incorporate into it. And look at this - someone has!

I'm on cloud nine just taking it all in with my eyes! Ribbon embroidery is something I have always admired and it really finds itself in this design - these enhancing touches are so special and give the eye so much to take in - it makes an already special quilt extra special, wow. 
The borderie perse Eleanor opted for looks custom designed - and I suppose that in a way, it is. How beautiful!
I'm also loving Eleanor's blue background and vase choices, her colour balance between the fabrics is just perfect.
Each time I see another Love Entwined, that one becomes my current favorite because honestly, each and every single one of them speak with their own accent of beauty. They each have something different and special about them. And this somehow makes the journey extra special all over again.

'Special' is a word that keeps coming up over and and over again in connection with Love Entwined - the mystery, the intrigue, the tantalizing Georgian facts around the textile that make us pause for thought..and then carry on with our legacy. Anyone who's making their own Love Entwined understands - there's just something about this quilt.
I found this border tricky, getting both zig zags, border and zig zags just so within the spacing, 
but you've done it beautifully Eleanor! 
this pot of broderie perse pansies has stolen my heart!
Love how you incorporate your ribbon flourishes in this block, gorgeous! 
Thank you for sharing your progress with us Eleanor, I know this inspirational boost will be push some quilters out there need to pick up and carry on with their own LE WIP!

As for myself, I was working on my own LE during the time when mother died and because of this, I haven't been able to get back into the right kind of mood to complete it. At least, until now I haven't felt it was the right time. I'm beginning to feel a little differently just lately. It's been over a year now and I'm thinking that it's time to finally complete and show off my own coverlet. Of course, when I do, you'll know all about it - every step of the way. I'm so lucky that until then and up until now, I've been able to feast my eyes on all the beautiful LE's being made by so many other quilters. Thank you everyone, for being so generous with your talent and motivations; it makes our creative hub on the internet a extra special place to belong - and having you all there makes all the difference.

And an extra special and repeated thank you to Eleanor because as I mentioned at the top of the post, she's a Moderator in our Group and we all know, Moderator's make the BOM Group keep turning!

In addition to my Facebook BOM Group, there's also an extra Love Entwined Group (because it's so epic it needed it's own space with it's own pace) for makers to connect and create.
What about you? Are you making Love Entwined? Have you joined the Love Entwined BOM Group? Go ahead and join us as we share friendship, quilting tips and creativity.

Love Entwined: 1790 Marriage Coverlet is a historic, heritage applique quilt made in remembrance and legacy of an original coverlet of no name, referred to only as a 'fine marriage coverlet' by Averil Colby in her publication printed in 1958. I created Love Entwined: 1790 Marriage Coverlet in homage to the original because I knew that this quilt needed to be remembered, acknowledged and recognized by all quilters everywhere as a work of magnificent ingenuity without peer or equal in its era. This quilt was originally released as a Free BOM over 18 months. The BOM is now finished. The pattern can be purchased via my online pattern shop. 

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning!! I've always admired ribbon embroidery. It is so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Quilt is magnificent!!! It has so many details that I love getting lost in looking at them. Love the combination of Appliqué Embroidery and Silk Ribbon Embroidery. So many different techniques to play with giving the maker outstanding results!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Esther, Ellie has made this quilt rather special with her own needle skills with embroidery and the ribbon embroidery gives it a little magical touch. So lovely to be able to just sit and take it all in. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the most beautiful works of art I have ever seen. What a fantastic talent. I love ribbon embroidery and have tried it once on a sleeve a little girls dress, I can appreciate her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, stunning! Completely in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit late coming to this post, but wow, Ellie, those vases look so real. As you know I recently bought this pattern and have only now had time to begin looking at all the photos. I came across this wonderful accolade from Esther... so well deserved I know. I haven't seen this quilt yet, but I know from your other silk ribbon work that I have seen, that this one too will look absolutely stunning when I see it for real. You have really done Esther's pattern proud. Just beautiful and I can only echo Esther's thoughts about your colour choices, the fabrics bring the quilt alive. I now can't wait to make a start on mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Esther and to everyone of you who has commented on my work. I am just finishing something off and l promise to get back to it very soon. I will ket you into a secret Esther, the first time l put up a picture of my first block l was so afraid you would be shocked that l would dare to change such a masterpiece, but you welcomed it. That's the wonderful thing about you Esther you are so very generous. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...