Wednesday 17 January 2018

WOW: Vacuuming My Quilts

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays 
I've been taking turns to bring down and vacuum my wall quilts since Monday, it's tiring work! I can't believe how much dust each one has collected in just a year and its taking me a good 45 minutes to an hour to thoroughly but gently brush every inch, front and back. I use a horsehair attachment I set aside only for this use. It's a boring job, but someone's got to do it.  
Next up, I have to check all my rolled and stored quilts for any moth damage as I've recently discovered some damaged jumpers in my wardrobe. I don't keep my stored quilts in my wardrobe, they are in a spare room, but I won't rest easy until I have checked each one over with my own eyes. Phew, it's going to be a busy day.

What's Your WOW?



7 comments:

  1. Is the quilt you have pictured partially stencilled or is it all applique? It is dramatic and lovely.
    On another question: do you have a tutorial on using Caran D'ache neocolor II? I am not an artist and don't have a lot of confidence using this kind of medium. I hear on my blog that others are interested also. I am using these highlight bits or change tones but would love to see or read what your techniques are. Please consider making a tutorial for us. We would love it and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have no damaged quilts! I once found moth damage to a couple needle point wall hangings, I could repair those but quilts might be harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt you are vacuuming. Hadn't seen that one before. You are doing Spring cleaning early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther, I would not have even thought of vacuuming a quilt to remove dust. Is that gentler on the quilt fibers than washing it would be? By the way, I spent hours yesterday digging through my stash and contemplating color schemes for Queen's Garden yesterday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Esther,
    What a wonderful job for today! I have only a few small wall hanging (shame on me), and I have never vacuumed them! WOW - really, shame on me. I will put that on my list for slightly warmer weather, as it is very cold lately. You are motivating me to do so though. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I hope the moths didn't get to your quilts! Your work is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...