Friday 16 February 2018

BOM 2018: Morning Glory Background Blues

Although it looks almost black in this picture, this is my navy blue background that I'm using for Morning Glory. I purchased a whole bolt of it in a fabric shop a few years ago. I fell in love with the colour and just knew it would be perfect for a future project.

Well, I was right about wanting to use it, but what I didn't know is that it has a grain warp through the whole bolt. Initially I thought it was a fold line, due to how the fabric was wrapped around the bolt. And I thought this could be relaxed away. But no washing has budged it, so I really wonder if it was just manufactured like this.
I washed and then soaked the fabric to try and relax the fibres, but it didn't help.
And then I noticed these notices throughout the fabric at various intervals.
I'm so annoyed. 
So, I'm going to see if I can get enough unblemished length to work with and make a start..

It's a lesson for me, bolt bargains aren't worth the headache later on.
Have you ever been stung by a fabric treasure turned tarnish?





Morning Glory is my current paid BOM. It's an applique and pieced quilt. 

You can start this BOM today! 

Simply click the quilt image to learn more.



1 comment:

  1. That is heartbreaking! Thank you for sharing, it’s a good warning to those of us that might also buy a bolt of fabric: check every inch especially if you find the bolt in the sale section.

    This may or may not work for you. When I was in high school, our cheerleading skirts were made from a flat double knit polyester (notoriously hard to permanently crease) to match a wool sweater in color. To permanently set the creases of the pleats that encircled entire skirt, my Mama doused the fabric in white vinegar before manipulating the fabric and pressing until dry. Now it occurs to me that the skirts were always dry cleaned and thus always professionally pressed. If you try this and it works, do a final test with a water wash to make sure this “cure” is permanent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...