Monday 5 February 2018

BOM 2018: Tracing Onto A Dark Background

I haven't worked with a dark background before, so tackling how to trace my applique position onto the background fabric posed a new challenge. I thought I could get around it with a light box but that didn't work, my navy background is really too dark for any cheat methods to work.
So my next thought was to try using pounce powder. I've had this block for years. I purchased it back when I was experimenting with quilting - or I should say, had plans to. But, as a freestyle domestic quilter, I just never got around to trying it out. Lucky for me, I stashed it for 'one of those days' and I'm happy to say, one of those days finally rolled around. Now, in my household, that's like saying 'the cows came home' because I stash a lot of things and no one in my family believes they will ever serve a purpose. Well, as you can see, they are wrong, the cows really have come home and I will continue stashing things as and when I please (and shelf space allows).
This is a tracing wheel and I decided to test it out on the nearest block I had to hand. This is Part 6 of Morning Glory, so don't worry if you don't recognize it yet.
The tracing wheel worked better than expected around curves and I think it's because I did my tracing with a soft thick cloth beneath my block which really allowed the spikes to puncture deeply.
Then I rubbed the pounce block over my punctured block
and here's my block, traced and ready for working with.
What I love about pounce powder is that you can handle, scrunch and work with the fabric normally, just like you would when preparing applique onto a background, and it won't come off until you iron it off, or rub over it with a lint free tissue. This means that if you make a mistake during the tracing, you can simply wipe it off and start again.
I have my colour scheme, my fabrics and my method of tracing down the background, next it's time to make a start and show you some progress.. stay tuned. 
But if you can't wait for me, be sure to visit my BOM Group over on Facebook - there's lots of progress going on over there to inspire you. 







Morning Glory is my current paid BOM. It's an applique and pieced quilt. 

You can start this BOM today! 

Simply click the quilt image to learn more.


11 comments:

  1. Your tracing wheel looks positively medieval! Ha ha!! Wherever did you find one with such huge spikes? I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing about the pouncing method, I have used chalk before but not the pouncing method. I found that the chalk came off and to see that there is a pounce chalk that only removes when ironed! Awesome news. I am definitely going to invest in the wheel and chalk.

      Delete
    2. I, too, am having Wheel Envy! I just spent the last three days poking holes through a tag board stencil with an upholstery needle, one hole at a time...

      Delete
    3. I just found the spikes tracing wheel like Esther’s on Amazon! Yay! They say it’s for marking leather. Here’s the link: https://amzn.to/2GMOg2b

      Delete
  2. Dear Esther

    They do not make the tracing wheels like that any more, what a pity. Those pouncer's are great. I use one with blue powder, on white fabric. It makes quilting a breeze, never thought to use it for transferring designs onto a background fabric, it is a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Oh boy I must be out of the loop, mind you I have had my sewing stash for about 20 years now!

      Delete
    2. Yes, they so make tracing wheels, but maybe not like that on.You can buy them on Amazon. I use them for mo tear paper piecing. https://www.amazon.com/Clover-Tracing-Wheel-Serrated-Edge/dp/B00292BPEC

      Delete
    3. Excellent to know, as mine will trace but not poke holes through the paper.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering if it would be possible to free motion sew through the paper pattern without thread in the needle and use the pounce chalk in the usual way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful tip. I am always struggling to find something to mark dark fabrics with. I have all the tools in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...