Tuesday 16 October 2018

My Stash Busting Stars Top

Remember my Stash Busting Stars quilt? I love that pattern. And as soon as I started cutting up the fabrics I had set aside from my stash, I saw I had too much of it. And I really wanted to use it all up (without bothering to make another quilt) so I added bits in. I added a sashing between the blocks and corners on the blocks and an extra border. Just because. 
For me, patterns are a 'guide', even when I intend to make the design 'as is', I rarely do. I don't think this pattern actually needs any adjustment, but I did decide to modify it as I went along in order to make it bigger and use up the extra fabric.I love this range and I knew I wouldn't be using the fabric for anything else so I couldn't stand to waste it. It's a stash buster for sure.
Some people just don't like stash busters, but I love them. They're the perfect way to test new skills, try new blocks and later, practice your quilting on. I think a quick stash busting quilt at least once a year is just the thing to use up a few fabrics from the mountain and try out some new threads too.

This beauty been on my wall all week and you know what? My DH is confused by it - he sees a mash up of colours and fabrics that don't make sense to his sensibilities... but I must admit that I LOVE IT! My DDs love it too although several guests to my house have agreed with my husband.

Some people just don't understand or see the beauty of quilts in the same way that I do. I mention this to remind any unappreciated quilter's out there that we're a special bunch and not everyone is going to 'get it' and that's fine. For me, everyone ooohs and aahhhs over my applique pieces and walks straight past my patchwork quilts without so much as a second glance.
And talking about all this reminds me of the time when I had a quilt on the machine for domestic machine quilting. A non quilting friend came around and was curious to see my quilting stitches. After admiring the top for a few seconds, she remarked 'oh that's great, I got one just like it from Ezi Buy'. For those of you who don't know, Ezi Buy is a kind of home living catalog and they sell commercially quilted bed coverlets - you know the room decor ones? I just thought that was the funniest thing. Imagine toiling away for hundreds of hours over a mere quilt when I could have simply shopped one for $89.95! Hahaha!

Anyhow, this beauty is complete now and I'll be taking it down and rolling it up ready for basting and quilting some other time as I'll be too busy to get it completed this year and will have to reconsider my quilting options in the new year as I'm developing quite a queue.

Phew! Another WIP just about done. I'm delighted. See you tomorrow for WOW.

6 comments:

  1. Your top is lovely and I do like what you did with the cornerstones. Unexpected.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thanks!
    slot online

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is an unappreciated craft, but I do it for me and myself and love it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I love your quilt! I have been watching to see how it turns out, lovely and just perfect for my house ! Seriously contemplating doing something like this as well, I sure have enough fabric to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness there are a lot of quilters that appreciate the art of it. We know the time it takes and the skill involved. Along the way we educate others so they might at least understand the value of a finished quilt. After seeing this quilt, I think I need to start buying some larger scale prints for my stash. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...