Thursday 13 April 2017

How To Make: the 'Tickled Pink' Block

This is my first Tickled Pink block (and it hasn't been ironed yet) 
but as you can already see, this block really shines!
Once you've decided whether to opt for the 16 x 16 inches or 20 x 20 inches block, it's time to make a start on your block. Here's how I made my own Tickled Pink.
'Map out' your block before sewing anything and make sure you understand the pattern arrangement. It's really important to follow the grain indicated on the pattern pieces to prevent buckling and warping as you sew your pieces together too, so pay attention to these pattern details. I think it makes a real different whenever you are piecing stars to pay extra attention to grain lines.



TEMPLATES F&G are your diamond pieces, 
Start sewing from the tip down and stop 1/4 inch from the edge. I have marked that point here with a dot so it's easy to see when I'm behind my machine. 
And this is what it looks like when it's actually stitched
First, stitch your diamonds into pairs
the join these pairs together to create halves
Then sew the halves together and trim all the 'bunny ears' these are the bits that poke out
In order to sew two halves together correctly, I start at the centre and stitch one half of the seam first, then I return to the cente and stitch outwards from the centre again.
Check to ensure all seams are neatly lined up and sewn doing before moving on
Press flat
Next it's time to create the 'units' that will slot in with my diamonds. 
As you can see, I am once again stopping 1/4 inch from my edges and indicating the spot with a dot. This is because I am creating Y seams.
With this piece, you add a second triangle to the square, stitching down as before with a 1/4 inch gap
Flip open and finger press
now fold this connected piece in half
Then I stitch the smaller seam
and this is what it looks like open
Also, you can eliminate these piecing steps by applique-ing the the little printed fabric square on top of the triangle. There are 4 x of these triangle units per block. 
Next, it's time to create another part, this one is corner unit, there are 3 x of these corner units per block and once again, I have marked the 1/4 inch stopping point
once you have stitched the parts of this block together, it looks like this
Slot your assembled parts to the diamonds to construct the block
First stitch in the 4 x pieced TRIANGLE units and then the 3 corner units next.
The plain square which is TEMPLATE E is sewn in last
This is what it looks like from the back
Trim all excess threads and finger press seams open where possible to reduce bulk
TEMPLATE E is the square background that the stems and leaves are appliqued onto
When these are prepped, set them aside until your pieced blocks are ready, then you will add this part of the block in last. 
Then, applique the stem tops to the pieced blocks into position
here's a close up of my leaves which are TEMPLATES L -M- N
I think this applique touch really adds something to all the piecing 
and I love how these fabrics make the block 'zing'
One thing is certain, my Tickled Pink is going to be a stunning quilt once it's completed.
If you are making this quilt, I hope you'll share you progress with all of us over in my BOM Group.

4 comments:

  1. As always SOOOO Pretty! Love,love,love the colors. So tempting to join in. But with a wedding for one daughter and a baby for another in the next few months, I'm going to bow out of this round. Makes me rather sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liebe Esther,
    ein wunderschöner Block, Danke für das Tutorial!
    Liebe Grüße
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, purchased the pattern yesterday. Would love to know what fabric line you used as you are a true artist when it comes to colour and design. I love your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marseille Robyn Pandolph for RJR Fabrics

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...