Wednesday 20 June 2018

WOW: My New Brother Scan N Cut CM900

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays
Oh boy do I have high hopes for this machine! With so many patterns on the go and only one pair of hands, I've decided that I could really use some professional help. I'm pinning all my hopes on this Brother Scan N Cut machine. Initially I was reluctant to purchase a new machine. After all, I am trying to get rid of 'stuff', not keep adding to my collection. I went back and forth for several months before realizing that I really do need help with my cutting requirements and this machine could save me a lot of time and effort. 

In Australia these units retail for $699 (which is $514 USD), even though the same unit can be snapped up for under $300 USD in the US. Like so many items in Australia, this one has been slapped with an inflated price for no discernible reason other than brand greed. You can find this item online right now for as low as $649, but I decided to pay a bit extra and purchased it from the Better Homes & Garden Shop because they were giving away this 'bonus' bag with each purchase.
Well you know I love storage bags and really love idea of having somewhere safe to tuck my machine at the end of my applique frenzy sessions! To purchase the bag separately would have cost over $100, so it seems like a good deal to me. I only wish the bag was a bit more interesting. I often wonder about the developers who sit around designing these kinds of bags. The main users of Brother Scan N Cut machines are apparently paper artists and people into scrap booking - a creative bunch of people! So why is the bag this boring two toned blue affair? Couldn't they have mustered up enough enthusiasm to spoil us with a print? Maybe it's just the grumpy quilter in me talking, but seriously - would it have killed them to make an effort?

So today I'm playing around with my new toy. Hopefully this means I'll have some new designs to show you soon because I simply don't have the hand power to get ahead of my schedule any other way. Fingers crossed it's going to live up to all the hype.

What's Your WOW?


17 comments:

  1. You will LOVE your SnC! I've had mine for a couple of years and it is AMAZING.

    There are many, many YouTube tutorials to watch and FB groups you can join. There is a learning curve, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't "click" right away. Take in all the tips and techniques from experienced users. It may seem overwhelming at first but when you *re-read* some of the instructions, you'll get the AHA! moment.

    And then you'll feel as though you are on top of the world. (even though you are "Down Under"! :-) )

    Personally, I love my machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited and yes, I am prepared for the learning curve ahead!

      Delete
  2. G'day Esther, Congrats on your New Toy. - I certainly have no regrets for buying my Scan-n-cut and have had wonderful results using it!
    I agree with Shelley - like everything there is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it you will be fine.
    Cheers Wendy (in Melb.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear, I can't wait to speed up my process :)

      Delete
  3. I'd love to have your new machine, but I really don't have time to learn something new. As far as the bag goes, it was probably designed by a man who could not have cared less what it looked like; he just needed to get the company logo on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, it's always a man who has no idea what the target demographic actually want. I feel this way about most domestic appliances actually - boring, stupid design faults and obviously not reviewed by the (mostly) women who will be using them :(

      Delete
  4. My biggest problem is choosing between all the different companies. How did you choose between Cricut, Sillouette, Brother, and I think one more? My mind spins trying to decipher which is best, especially for cutting all types of fabric....Everyone reading this please feel free to help me choose. quiltyladyrr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the Cricut is limited by the steel dies that you use? Whereas the Brother Scan N Cut has the scanner - a really big deal as it means you can cut your own specific shapes. This is what swayed me. I searched online and it appears that whilst there are a few cutters out there, Brother is clearly the best. I can't recommend anything yet as I don't have enough experience / know what I'm talking about yet..

      Delete
    2. Yep, I agree, the scanner is the sole reason that if my SNC broke down (and I've owned it now for 4 years with no issues) I would absolutely buy a new SNC again.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to learning about your scan n cut, Esther! Is it only for cutting out fusible appliqué or can you use it for turned edge as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have worked it all out, I will post what I know :)

      Delete
    2. You can absolutely use it for turned edge applique also.

      Delete
  6. Congrats Esther, you chose the best machine on the market hands down!!! I know Freezer Paper in Australia is expensive, but you might like the freezer paper method of cutting fabric (if you don't want to use a fusible) better than the other methods out there. You also don't need those support sheets, so don't waste your money, buy the Zig 2-way glue and make the mats sticky on your own. The best feature of the machine tho is being able to place your fabric on the mat, scan the mat, then move your shapes into place on the screen to cut them. This alone makes the SNC the very best machine on the market as it's a huge headache saver with the way other brands make you line up those shapes. Write me if you need any help... I'm happy to give you a hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW - you can use freezer paper instead of a fusible! That's fantastic! I don't use fusibles in my applique (I do needle turn) and I was wondering how I could cut the fabric well without the fusible stuff. Thanks for this.

      Delete
  7. Oh Esther that is awesome. I bought one a couple of years ago abut I am afraid to play with it-thats normal for me. Maybe you could show us how you cut your appliqué pieces with it? So excited I might have to play with it soon.:) Hugs from NJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you used the Brother cut n scan yet? what do you think? worth it? I'm wondering if I should get one for the 2019 BOM and I've only just started the Love Entwined quilt so I'm thinking I may really need this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...